This past weekend was a whirlwind of cleaning. The Beau was off at guard duty so I had an empty house left all to myself. And what did I decide to do with my time? I cleaned! And worked on the nursery. And more importantly, scrubbed down all aspects of our bedroom that I won’t have time to clean after the baby arrives, which is why I made sure to clean the mattress and pillows!
I’m tackling each area of our home, room by room. My goal is to scrub down as much as I can pre-baby to help eliminate a little post-baby stress and ensure The Beau and I have a happy and healthy home for our little one. Really though, the nesting bug has kicked in and I already love cleaning as it is, so baby or not, my house is getting a scrub-down.
There are a few ways to clean the mattress and pillows, but today I just wanted to share with you my non-overwhelming method. It’s the most efficient and effective. There are some other great ideas out there for cleaning mattresses, but we’ll cover that another day.
1. Strip the bed. Strip the bed of your mattress pad, of your sheets, strip off the pillow cases and pillow case covers.
2. Wash it all. Wash all the above mentioned items, except the mattress. Do double-check any wash instructions listed on the tag of your mattress pad and pillows as some may require hand wash or dry clean only.
3. Dust. Now that your bed is stripped clean, it’s a good idea to do any dusting around your bed such as on the headboard or bedside tables. Dusting often circulates little dust mites into the air, and the last thing you want is for dust bunnies to land on your freshly made bed.
4. Vacuum. Now that the dust has settled, vacuum around your bed, but don’t stop there! Vacuum your mattress too.
5. Flip your mattress. Our mattress is actually a Euro-top so it can’t be flipped, because it has a box-spring built into the bottom of it. However, The Beau did help me rotate our mattress. Doing so helps preserve the longevity of your mattress and even out the weight distribution over time.
6. Make your bed. Now that everything is fresh and clean, it’s time to remake your bed. At the end of a long day, there’s nothing better than cozying up in a bed of fresh sheets!