So yesterday on the blog, while talking about our upcoming road trip to Kentucky, I forgot to point out that this year, due to scheduling and the idea of traveling with an 18-month old, Baby Mae and I opted to stay behind. But, we put our extra free time to good use and caught up on a bit of work, planned for our upcoming move, and came up with this recipe for the Most Delicious Curry Chicken Salad! . . . and just in time for your Fourth of July weekend plans, I might add!
“Upcoming move you say?”
That’s right, we’re moving! But, not too far. I am so proud to say (and brag!) that The Beau was accepted to all of his graduate school choices and after much consideration, we are moving to DC where he will attend Johns Hopkins University. Years ago I posted some fun stories on moving–one of which includes The Beau using chapstick to label a moving box, in lieu of a marker.
I’m looking forward to a very, very bustling summer between a few road trips, lots of packing, and I suspect, quite a bit of stress. But, back to my Curry Chicken Salad.
It’s delicious. Something about salads are just so refreshing in the summer. It’s so easy to dress up a salad as well, by adding beans, meat, fish, or hearty vegetables like sweet potatoes or avocado.
While The Beau was gone, I had a craving for chicken salad, which morphed into a curry chicken salad craving. I love chicken salad and curry chicken salad, but it’s generally so unhealthy! Loaded with mayonnaise, sugar and who knows what else. Store bought chicken salad is always so gooey and scrumptious, but so unhealthy. One bite is practically a day’s worth of calories. And let’s face it, you can never have just one bite of chicken salad. Like ice cream. But not chicken ice cream, because that would be gross.
My recipe for The Most Delicious Curry Chicken Salad uses vegan mayonnaise, but primarily because I only use vegan mayonnaise. And yes, I know that is counterproductive when it’s a chicken-based recipe, but it’s still important to make the most healthful changes where you can.
The secret to my chicken salad is also the fruit and veggies. Chicken salad is best when lumpy, and the fruit and veggies pack in extra nutrients, while going easy on your caloric intake. This recipe also uses chutney which honestly makes it super delicious. But, if you’re watching your sugar intake, omit it or try making one from scratch. If you do use chutney, very, very important–make sure the chutney you use does not contain corn syrup. Ideally the chutney you use should contain cane sugar, if at all.
P.S. For a creamier chicken salad, simply add a few extra tablespoons of mayo.
- 1.5 lb whole organic pasture-raised (happy!) chicken breasts
- 1 c. organic celery, sliced
- ½ c. carrots, shredded
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ½ c. raw cashews, chopped
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1 c. organic grapes, halved
- 5 tbsp vegan mayonnaise or regular
- ¼ c. organic plain yogurt
- ¼ c. white wine
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 5 tsp curry powder
- ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Cook the chicken according to your preference--whether grilled, sauteed, baked or poached. Once cooked, let the chicken cook then cube or dice into your preferred size pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, wine, chutney, curry powder, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the curry sauce into the large mixing bowl.
- Stir until combined and enjoy!
For a creamier salad, add extra mayonnaise.